Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jewish Ethics and Ambulances

I was listening to a radio interview of Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, who was talking about his new book, A Code of Jewish Ethics Volume 2: Love Your Neighbor As Yourself. The interview (and the callers) moved to the idea of praying for the person in distress when you pass an ambulance. A caller stated she had learned this from a nun in grade school, and the rabbi agreed it was a proper way to love your neighbor.

That said, I passed an ambulance today.

I took the opportunity to pray for the person, and I was dissatisfied with my quick prayer for healing. What I really wanted was for the person in the ambulance was to experience God in a real and meaningful way, and so, be healed.

And that, I believe, is loving your neighbor as yourself.

1 comment:

  1. That would go right along with the end of my sermon from last Sunday - that if you love God with all your heart; loving your neighbor as yourself means wanting for your neighbor what you want for yourself - namely: God.

    ReplyDelete