Thursday, February 5, 2009

Finished: Peace Like A River

This book is marvelous. The writing is poetry, the text is moving and the characters are ordinary. That is, if you believe in the miraculous as ordinary. But the miraculous scripted into this novel is beautiful and believable, not mushy.

My favorite chapter is "Be Jubilant, My Feet". It came at a perfect time, when pondering the rapture of Heaven, and includes this, "I tell you there is no one who compels as does the master of that country -- although badly as I wanted to see him, Dad must've wanted to more, for he shot ahead like a man who sees all that pleases him most stacked beside the finish."

Read, and read again.

Peace Like A River, Leif Enger

1 comment:

  1. I, too, love how Enger makes the miraculous seem ordinary (in the sense of "it's exactly what should happen and be expected in God's world, not in the sense of boring, bland, or vulgar) and the ordinary miraculous. The evilness of evil, the fallibilty of the best of us, and the power of forgiveness also are evidenced. I read this after discovering it on a shelf at a bed and breakfast years ago, and long to read it again. A wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete