Monday, January 12, 2009

Multi-tasking

I am a multi-tasker. I am a very good multi-tasker. It has occurred to me that the ability to multi-task is a blessing. It is also a non-blessing.

Let me clarify: I am on hold with the insurance company while drinking my morning coffee while waiting for a report to print for work while checking e-mail while saying, "come away" to the 1-year-old and putting Lego heads on and off for the 4-year-old while writing my to-do-list for the week and remembering Jessica, just in from South Africa, in prayer. Oh, and the laundry is in the dryer. This is how I function. This is what I am like. All the time.

But I forget that there are things that I should do at times while not multi-tasking. I need to remember:

"Devote yourselves to prayer." Colossians 4:2

While I can and do and should pray without ceasing, (and this in and of itself implies a type of multi-tasking), the very word devote implies there is also a time when prayer should be done when wholly devoted. Devoted without distraction. Having prayer included in my multi-tasking is not devotion without distraction. It is good, but it is not all there is.

Wholly-devoted-prayer-time kind of time doesn't just happen by chance. It is sought for with jealousy, with fervor, with intention. I have a hard time finding that kind of time. But I know it exists. And while I pray while multi-tasking, I am confident that God will give it to me. It is His desire that I give Him that kind of prayer.

Make it so, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment