Friday, January 9, 2009

Finished: The Glass Menagerie

I read Tennessee Williams' play "The Glass Menagerie" again. I think I last read it in high school. I've got one word: Depressing. In a bad way. I like depressing literature...all those people in Dickens that die, give me a Russian novel, and I'm happy as a clam. But this was bad depressing. Note to self: don't read this again. I read through some suggested essay questions to wrap my brain around what it was about. They didn't make it any more pleasant.

There was one thing I did like, though. Mr. Williams wrote this as a memory play - it was to be understood as a piece of someone's memory of what happened. Intermixed with the actual text of the play (as is most playwrights' customs), were the scripting and lighting recommendations. I enjoyed reading this through those eyes, seeing the set as described, and the lighting fade or focus. Sometimes reading instructions like that makes it a clearer visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment