Wednesday, January 28, 2009

His Promise From Time Past

"I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring, And My blessing on your descendants; And they will spring up among the grass Like poplars by streams of water." Isaiah 44:3-4

Here is a promise to a wicked and rebellious people. God is promising that He will not visit their sins upon their sons, but rather, will pour out His Spirit upon them.

I found this to be a prophetic utterance of the fulfillment of the Great Commission, and had a beautiful vision in my mind:

A wasteland, dry and dead. Unwelcoming. No hope. No future.

But.

The Spirit of the Lord came upon it. There was one blade of bright green grass unfurled. Then another. Then another. The unfurling green was joined by splashing drops of rain, breathing life into death.

Surely, the wasteland transforms into a meadow of vitality. Verdant and full of expectancy.

God's Spirit dwells among His people.

It is His promise from time past.

"I will pour out My Spirit."

2 comments:

  1. Except the fields are ripe for the harvest in the Great Commission! I see what you mean though... our souls are desert wastelands until the Spirit of God descends like the rain, bringing life. It gives me hope to remember this especially today after having family over for Marshall's bday last night. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking more along the lines of the dry bones analogy in Ezekiel. While the fields are ripe, the Ezekiel passage, along with the Isaiah one, portray the Spirit of the Lord descending on His chosen, who in turn share the Gospel, and so bring more life. "Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!" Ezekiel 37:5 Different metaphors for the same end: the glory of the Lord evidenced by the presence of His Spirit.

    ReplyDelete