Friday, March 20, 2009

A McFree Meal

Permit me to wax eloquently for a few moments...

We're in a recession (so I've been told). Will McDonalds survive? Does anyone care about McDonalds?

First, the disclaimers:
I do not prefer to eat at McDonalds.
Sausage McMuffins with egg are not good for you.

Neither of those are the point, so let's move on.

I had a coupon for a free breakfast sandwich, with the purchase of a breakfast sandwich. I was hungry, and decided on my way to work, I could eat 2 Sausage McMuffins with egg.

I pulled up to the pay window, and handed the woman my credit card to pay the $2.75 for my breakfast. She informed me that the credit card machine was broken, and wanted to know if I had any cash. I checked my change purse, and informed her that I had 75 cents. She told me to pull up to the next window.

As I waited, I searched my purse for more change. I came up with a total of $1.08 worth of change in my purse. The manager came to the window with my credit card. I offered him my measly $1.08 - less than half of the suggested value of the meal (which was really a quarter, since I was getting one free). He informed me that I could take my meal for free, and to tell my friends. Then he clarified...don't tell them our machine isn't working, tell them we're...and I interrupted and said, "gracious".

I suppose it may have simply been a good business practice. But in a recession, do good business practices count? He could have turned me away.

So will McDonalds survive? That I cannot predict. But I do know that a man who treats his customers fairly is wise.

And so I'll tell you: the manager at the McDonalds by the mall is a fair and reasonable man, who runs his business well, at least in my opinion.

P.S. (I enjoyed my breakfast. Thanks for asking.)

1 comment:

  1. Next time that I simply MUST have a Mickey-D's sundae or sausage-egg breakfast burrito (the only two things I go out of my way for) I will go the extra mile to the one by the mall :) Glad you got your sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete