Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tomatoes and the Glory of God



Normally when we think of good fruit, we associate it with the requirement of a healthy root. I am experiencing something a bit different on the corner of my porch.


My tomato plant looks pathetic. From the beginning, it has appeared weak and fragile. I have taken off many yellowed branches, in the hopes that energy would not be put into dead parts, but be transferred to the parts that were healthy to encourage them to grow.


Despite the gangly appearance, the plant continues to bear fruit - and good fruit at that. I can only explain this by the existence of a healthy root.
But the appearance of the plant encourages me, that God might use a weak and unassuming vessel to bear fruit for His kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. That is such good perspective on something we could so easily write off. As humans we tend to see the negative aspect of life where we really should look at the positive and not the surface. Thanx for the reminder

    ReplyDelete