Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Finished: Henry Huggins and Henry and the Paper Route

I'm still counting book screenings! Secretly, I just like reading juvenile fiction.

OK. That's not a secret anymore.

Here's my trouble with Henry...does my son need suggestions on what to do with his spare time? Do I want him coming home with a kitten or ripping apart a golf ball just to see what's inside. Is reading this going to make him start that?

But I do love that this book is all boy. It's a simple and curious boy and dog story. And I actually read the introduction, and was delighted to see that this was Beverly Cleary's first book - one that she struggled with writing because she thought women were supposed to write about girls. She had worked with boys who were bored because all of the juvenile books were about girly things, and was so inspired to introduce Henry.

There still are a lot of girly books out there, but this one's a gem for a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment