Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Excerpts: Bloomability

"At about four o'clock in the morning, this is what I decided: I hadn't had to struggle for those skis. Someone had given them to me out of their own generosity, without my having struggled for them, without my having earned them.

I thought maybe I should give them back and tell Aunt Sandy and Uncle Max that first I'd better earn the money for them. I'd wash floors and windows and chop wood and do all the laundry and all the cooking. What a struggle!

But in the end, I decided that it was Christmas and people liked to be generous at Christmas, and maybe I ought to just accept this struggle-free gift. It might be hard to do -- wait! That would be my struggle. I would struggle to accept their generosity. Yes I would."

So I consider how free the gift of grace is, and how I keep going back to trying to earn it now that it's been given to me.

Bloomability, Sharon Creech, chapter 19

1 comment: