Friday, July 23, 2010

Finished: Anne Bradstreet Pilgrim and Poet

It is always an encouragement and a discouragement to me to read of godly women, their trials, and their response.

Anne Bradstreet is no exception.

Bearing severe trials, she constantly put her eyes back onto Christ. I want to be that way. I desire to have nothing but a God-ward look when I am pressed to disbelieve or despair. But in reading her life and her poetry, I realize that her godliness is not separate from her sin. She is so real about her struggles and temptations. Similar to King David, she lays out her fears and through her pen-song, is brought to an ever-increasing trust in her Saviour.

A pilgrim I, on earth perplexed
with sins, with cares, with sorrows vexed,
by age and pains brought to decay,
and my clay house mould'ring away.
Oh, how I long to be at rest,
and soar on high among the blest!

Mine eyes no more shall ever weep,
no fainting fits shall me assail,
nor grinding pains my body frail;
with cares and fears ne'er cumbered be
nor losses know, nor sorrows see.

And when a few years shall be gone,
this mortal shall be clothed upon...
in weakness and dishonour sown,
in power 'tis raised by Christ alone.

Lord, make me ready for that day,
Then come, dear Bridegroom, come away.

Anne Bradstreet: Pilgrim and Poet, Faith Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment